Article in QNotes published February 8, 2018
Ground Up (or G-Up) Housing Solutions is a housing program that is a part of Triangle Empowerment Center, Inc.
G-Up will offer to accommodate a majority of housing needs, shelter and continuum of care. This program includes emergency/transitional housing, respite housing and permanent supportive housing. G-Up operates on housing first model with wrap-around services. Our priority population are chronically homeless adults (age 18 and up) who are LGBTQ, senior citizens, aged out youth, substance abuse, have disabilities (i.e. HIV/AIDS, physical/mental challenges, learning disabilities, etc.), victims of sexual/domestic abuse and medical recovery.
G-Up currently has housing for 10 single residency units primarily with referrals from SRO (single room occupancy) to permanent or family apartment/townhouses provider/sliding fee scale. Application fee and deposit may be required. For day drop-in services, please call 800-806-3558 for time slot availability.
Before one can apply for the G-Up Housing program, you must have a community provider/sponsorship or be able to pay program fees. Ground Up Housing Solutions offers the following:
- Housing needs are based on individual
- Handicap Accessibility
- Day Drop-In Services for non-residence (shower, phone, mail, computers, laundry services, voicemail).
- Safe environment
- Security system
- Trained staff on site
- Smoke detectors in each room
- G-Up has MOU with Durham County Police Department
- On bus line. Easy access to public transportation
- Minutes away from Lincoln Community Health, local library branch, pharmacies, grocery store, various restaurants, community recreational center, NCCU, etc.
- On site laundry, spacious parking area in the back
- Private bedrooms (fully furnished).
- Free WiFi
- Monthly program fee is sliding fee scale based on emergency/transitional housing needs.
- Alcohol and Drug free environment.
- Monthly program fee ranges from $500.00 to $550.00 (based on room size and provider services)
- Transitional housing offered in 2 Phases (some of these rules may not apply to regular residents of G-Up)
- Phase 1: 6-11 months
- Phase 2: 12-23 months
All those in the G-Up Housing program must abide to the following conditions:
- No smoking indoors. Must smoke in the designated smoking areas outside.
- Must share kitchen and bathroom area
- Limited number of tenants per section of the building
- Building has 4 sections numbered 1-4 (3 private bedrooms, 1 shared kitchen and 1 shared bathroom for each section)
- Only 3 tenants for each section
- If self-pay, you must be able to provide proof of income (check stubs, benefits award letter, etc.) and afford housing
- Must follow all rules and regulations as outlined in agreement with the understanding that if they are not followed, participant can be asked to leave immediately (if you are in an emergency/transitional housing). No lease agreements for those not in DASH Program.
- Must be willing to work with G-Up Case Manager and follow care plan.
- Overnight guests must be approved by G-Up staff.
- No alcohol, illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia or weapons on property
- No pets allowed
- Must be non-ambulatory
- Must be able to provide own food and prepare your own meals
- Must be clean and sober upon entry
- Keep room and house clean at all times
- Must be actively involved in self-sufficiency and supportive services while in G-Up program
- Enroll and attend all economic self-sufficiency classes, attend support groups, and develop skills to rebuild lives, peer support and life skills training.
G-Up is positioned to house someone who has no income, but you must have a provider.
Download Program Application
1. Call for availability and tour of property 800-806-3558
3. Submit application with $30.00 fee (cash or money order only). Fee may be waived